Saturday, January 19, 2013

Greek Quinoa Salad

If you've been on Pinterest recently, chances are you have seen about a zillion quinoa recipes (pronounced keen-wah). I'd never heard of the stuff before but people are raving about it. Well, I found this once recipe from With Style and Grace. It was absolutely delicious! I think the next time I make it I would double everything but the quinoa. Also, my family doesn't like olives so I used an extra 1/4c tomatoes instead. It was so yummy, but it would be better with more goody! Here's the original recipe.

Greek Quinoa Salad

1 1/2 c quinoa
2 c water or chicken broth (I didn't have any broth on hand so I used water)
salt
1 heaping cup of chopped cucumber
1/2 c cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 c Kalamata olives, sliced
1/4 c red onion, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 lemon juiced
3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
2 TBS white or red wine vinegar (I used red)
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
crumbled feta cheese

In a medium pot, bring 2 c of water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cover. Cook 16-18 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with fork.

In a large bowl combine cucumber, tomatoes, olives, red onion, and green onion. Mix in quinoa.

To make the dressing, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Drizzle over salad a little at a time. Chill then serve topped with cheese.



No comments:

Post a Comment