Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Laundry Detergent DIY

Hey friends,

So I recently discovered how to make my own laundry detergent. This is my second attempt and have tweaked it a little from a recipe I found on Pinterest

You will need the following items:
  • a 10qt or larger stock pot
  • 2 empty gallon jugs
  • Funnel
  • 1 bar of soap (I use Fels-Naptha laundry soap, but I am going to try castile bar soap next time because it is all natural and better for your skin and for the environment and you can get it online for only a few cents more than the Fels-Naptha)
  • 1 c borax
  • 1 c washing soda
  • water
Grate the bar of soap. I just use our Cuisinart to grate it. Add the soap to the pot with one gallon of water. Heat until the grated soap dissolves. 




Add the borax and washing soda.



Heat until it boils. It will thicken.


Remove from heat and add another gallon of water. Mix thoroughly. My suggestion is to allow the detergent to sit in the pot at least until it cools because it will thicken significantly and it is easier to add water and mix it up in the pot than in the jugs. After you have thinned it down, use the funnel to put it into the gallon jugs. 

I use one of the little detergent cups we have left over from the detergent we had before, but I think it's about 1/4-1/2 c per load. Happy washing!

No comments:

Post a Comment