Thursday, May 17, 2012

Operation Isolation

“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”

This is a quote by C.S. Lewis that I read recently that really stuck with me. You know, there's a lot of truth in that statement.

And there's a lot of power in that fact. You remember 1 Peter 5:8 where it says, "Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour?" Think about what you know about lions. Think about every nature special you have ever watched. When lions are targeting prey, which zebra do they latch onto? Which zebra do they take down? It's the one that's isolated. It's the "only one" on the fringe of the herd or, even more hopelessly, detached from the herd altogether.

Think about that. Isolation is one of the many powerful, effective weapons in the devil's arsenal. It is one of the great war campaigns launched against God's children: Operation Isolation. It preys on many fleshly weaknesses, not the least of these are insecurity and fear. The things we keep hidden, the things we are terrified to share because if (insert name here) really knew us, knew this, they would never accept or love us, those things are the things he uses to isolate us and bring us down. The fact of the matter is, at one point or another, we have all struggled with something that, while it may not be the same, would have similar effects on the spirit, things that could be used to isolate us. And we have this incredible example of grace laid out for us in Jesus Christ, which should be applied to all these relationships. Additionally, isolation creates and feeds fear and insecurity. It feeds the idea that you are probably the only one who is struggling with something or that feeling a certain way makes you nuts. I was talking to a friend tonight and sharing something I had been thinking about which I assumed was a weird thought process of mine because I couldn't articulate why I felt this way. I was sort of to the point of thinking that my thoughts and feelings on this matter were invalid and incorrect because of that. She was able to not only assure me I was not alone in that, but articulate with biblical support why that was a correct way to think about things. This whole issue of isolation is something that makes the fellowship of a body of believers so important. If we stay with the herd, we have a better chance of defending ourselves and each other against the roaring lion.

So, “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”

I have been incredibly blessed by friendships that are born in this way and are continuously reinforced by those moments. But you know, friendship might be born in those moments, but it is strengthened and nourished by the moments when one person says that and the other says, "Oh yeah. I struggle with this, but look what God has taught me. Look how I've been redeemed through this. Let me share my heart with you and bring you before the Lord in this." These friendships I have been blessed with have strengthened me and grown me personally in ways I couldn't have anticipated. They have given me more confidence in my faith, more strength in the battle against Satan, and more complete, real, deep, and blessed fellowship with these siblings in Christ than I could have ever imagined. What an incredible blessing. What incredible care, grace, and mercy of the Father to bring these people into my life! I pray that you all have those people in your lives as well and if you don't, seek them out.

Philippians 2:1-2 "Therefore if there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose."

No comments:

Post a Comment