Saturday, April 7, 2012

Garlic and Soy Grilled Pork Chops and Summer Squash Casserole


This is my mother's favorite way to have pork chops so it was only appropriate that we had this on Mother's Day! It is from The South Beach Diet Cookbook by Dr. Arthur Agatston, M.D. This recipe is delicious and only 70 calories per chop. The Summer Squash Casserole recipe came from a friend of my grandmother. It is so yummy, however the original recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of butter and I have tweaked it some because it is soooo greasy. By the way, in the interest of full disclosure, Kenneth and Dad did the grilling for me since I was working in the kitchen! :)

Garlic and Soy Grilled Pork Chops

4 boneless center-cut pork loin chops, trimmed of visible fat
2 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS minced garlic
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients except pork and put in a ziplok. Place pork chops in the bag and allow to marinate for 4-24 hours. Grill 20-25 minutes until center is no longer pink.

Summer Squash Casserole



6 c squash, sliced                                   1 c shredded carrots
¼ c onion, chopped                               1 8oz stuffing mix
1 can cream of chicken                          1½ c butter melted***
1 c sour cream

Cook squash and onions in a skillet with a little water for 5 minutes and drain. Mix together cream of chicken, sour cream, and carrots. Fold into squash. Mix together stuffing and butter. In a 9x13 dish layer ½ stuffing, all of the squash mixture, and remaining stuffing. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

***I think instead of using all three sticks of butter, you could use 1 c chicken broth and 1 stick butter. I think this would moisten without it being so greasy and would still taste good. I haven't tried this but I plan to. If you do, let me know how it turns out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment