Saturday, April 7, 2012

Shrimp Stir-Fry


Okay, despite what it may look like on previous blog posts, I am making an effort to eat healthier and find new recipes to help me do that. I'm going to do this post a little differently because I don't think I would make this the way I did again because it did not have much flavor. HOWEVER I have some ideas of how to make it tastier and healthier. So first I will give you what I actually made, then what I would do next time.

Shrimp Stir-Fry (adapted from a recipe submitted to Allrecipes.com by Campell's Kitchen)

3 TBS cornstarch
1 3/4 c chicken broth
1 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS olive oil
1 lb fresh or thawed frozen medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 c fresh cut veggies (I used red and orange bell peppers, broccoli, and carrots)
2 in piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 clove garlic, minced
white rice


  1. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch, broth, and soy sauce together until smooth
  2. Heat 1 TBS olive oil in skillet and cook shrimp until cooked through. Remove shrimp from skillet and set aside.
  3. Heat remaining 1 TBS olive oil and cook veggies, ginger, and garlic until tender-crisp
  4. Stir in cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Return the shrimp to the skillet and cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling. 
  5. Serve over rice
Okay now here is where we change it up a little. There was not a lot of flavor so here is what I think I would do to enhance flavor and make it better for you. Instead of 1 TBS soy sauce, use 3 TBS low-sodium soy sauce. Double the ginger and garlic and add the zest from an orange. Also instead of broccoli, use pea pods. I am also going to try this substituting spaghetti squash for the rice. It is a lower carb but just as yummy pairing. 






No comments:

Post a Comment